TennCare is Tennessee’s Medicaid program. The program offers health insurance to more than 1.5 million low-income children, pregnant women, parents of minor children, and people who are elderly or disabled. You can apply for TennCare at www.healthcare.gov. If you have questions about the program or are currently covered by TennCare and need assistance you can call 1-855-259-0701.
There are two different types of TennCare assistance:
TennCare Medicaid is for Tennesseans who are eligible for a Medicaid program, including:
- Children under age 21
- Women who are pregnant
- Single parents or caretakers of a minor child (the child must live with you and be a close relative)
- Two-parent families with a minor child living at home when one of the parents:
- Has lost their job or had their work hours cut, or
- Has a health or mental health problem expected to last 30 days (the state Department of Human Services will need proof from your doctor)
- Women who need treatment for breast or cervical cancer
- People who get a Supplemental Security Income check
- People who have gotten both an SSI check and a Social Security check in the same month at least once since April 1977 AND who still get a Social Security check
- A person who:
- Lives in a nursing home and has income below $2,022 per month, or
- Gets other long-term care services that TennCare pays for
TennCare Standard is available only for children under age 19 who are already enrolled in TennCare Medicaid and:
- Who lack access to group health insurance through their parents’ employers, or
- Whose time of eligibility is ending and they don’t qualify anymore for TennCare Medicaid
For these children, the Department of Human Services will determine if they qualify for TennCare Standard.
What does TennCare cover?
TennCare covers services that are medically necessary. Some of the common covered services include:
- Medical care
- Dental services
- Hospital services
- Physical, speech or occupational therapy
- Mental health services
If you have questions about a covered service, call your health plan for more information.
How do I apply for TennCare?
You can apply for your family by:
- Visiting www.healthcare.gov
- Calling 1-800-318-2596
Where can I find more information about TennCare?
You can learn more and find answers about:
- The kinds of benefits and services you’re entitled to and rules connected with the program
- Your eligibility and the application process
- The major Medicaid categories available in Tennessee
If you have any questions, call Tennessee Health Connection at 1-855-259-0701.
TennCare Kids checkups are FREE for children who are enrolled in TennCare from birth until age 21. This includes checkups for vision, hearing, dental and mental health. TennCare Kids healthcare providers:
- Find problems early, starting at birth
- Check children’s health at specific ages
- Perform physical, mental, developmental, dental, hearing, vision and other screening exams to find any problems
- Perform additional tests when a problem is suspected or found
- Treat any problems found
Doctors, dentists and other health professionals with the TennCare Kids program offer:
- Well-child checkups
- Dental checkups and services
- Medical treatment
- Behavioral health services, including:
- Behavior problems or anger management
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Mental health (including major depression, schizophrenia, bipolar)
- Eating disorders
What will happen at the medical checkup?
Your child will receive:
- Review of their health history
- Complete physical exam
- Lab tests (as needed)
- Immunizations (shots)
- Vision and hearing screening
- Developmental/behavioral screening (as needed)
- An appointment for the next regular visit or follow-up visit
You’ll also get advice on how to keep your child healthy.
Where can children get TennCare Kids checkups?
- Your doctor or pediatrician, also known as the Primary Care Provider
- Health department
- Other TennCare providers (such as mobile clinics or school-based clinics)
Where can I find out more about TennCare Kids?
Click here to learn more about the TennCare Kids program and find links to additional services.
How do I get in touch with my child’s health plan?
Call your TennCare health plan.
- Amerigroup Community Care: 800-600-4441
- BlueCare: 800-468-9698
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan: 800-690-1606
- TennCare Select: 800-263-5479
TennCare Information Line: 1-855-259-0701
DentaQuest (dental services): 855-418-1622
Para información acerca de TennCare en español, llame al 1-855-259-0701.